Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to add external load to motors and cylinder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to add external load to motors and cylinder?

Can anyone explain how to add external load to motors and cylinder and control them during simulation?

In Automation Studio you can do two things related to external load and the control of this forces.

You can add an external load to the cylinder or an external torque to the motor but this will be fix in the simulation(you can’t vary the force) or you can create a resistive force(resistive torque) and by using a set point device(pedal for example) in the simulation you can vary the force. I will try to explain you both methods.
    First adding an external load in a cylinder.

If you open the dialog box of the cylinder in the Technical-Characteristic you have Inclination , this is the angle of you cylinder and depending of this the calculation will be done; to know how the angle will affect the simulation please look the image from the Component image (which is the first information on the top of the dialog box, most of the time it is hidden, you can see it if you press on the small arrow in front of the text Component image ).
    Then with the angle you can set up the force by putting the desired force in the Technical-External Data in the External Load .
    Depending of the angle this force will act as a pull force or a push force, but it will be the same in the simulation.
    Another method will be to use the Resistive force curve in here depending of the stroke you can put different resistive force for the cylinder and Resistive Torque Curve for the motors. Keep in mind that if you are using the Inclination and External Load and then you make some configuration in the curves this will be add to the final result.

The second method will be to add point device(pedal for example) and using this you can vary the resistive force/torque.
    To do this, place two pedals in you schema. On we will associate with the cylinder and the other one with the motor. To do the association we will use variables.
    To do this open the cylinder dialog box and go to Variable assignment. In the Component variables you will have all the variables related to the cylinder. In our case we are interested in Resistive force . In the Compatible simulation variables you will have all the variables from all the components of your project. We are looking for the pedals, so you can use the filter and look for PD. The filter will give you 2 variables one for PD3 and one For PD4.
    Please select from Component variables the in Resistive force and from Compatible simulation variables the PD3 , when the 2 are selected in the association window you can create the association between them by pressing the Creating association button.
    Please repeat the same steps in the motor with the PD4 .
    The pedal will send a signal to the variable, sometime the range is too big. You will see that in the pedal for the cylinder I choose the pedal to send signal from 0 to 50 and in the pedal for the torque I choose the range to be between 0 and 1.

Start the simulation in the left side you will be able to see:
    - In the left side where we have used the first method the cylinder speed will constant and it is smaller because of the Inclination and External Load , if you erase both you will see that the speed will increase.
    - In the same side but in the motor you will see that the speed is decreasing in time because we choose a curved which will increases the resistive torque in time and then will stabilize to a certain value because the resistive torque is not changing anymore.
    - In the right side in both cases if you modify the pedal input increasing or decreasing the signal you will see how the linear speed or the torque will decrease or increase.

Please find attached project.

Best regards,
    Forum Admin
    Attached Files
    Best Regards,
    Forum Admin
    sigpic

Comment

Hi, I'm new to using Automation Studio (my company has a few licences but it's not really used in my division). I'm trying to model a simple hydraulic circuit (a couple of spool valves, a few check valves, brake and motor) but running into problems with the motor. If I just insert it into the circuit there's no resistance to rotation, so no pressure builds (relief valves are set at 140 bar, pressure source to 250 bar, but the pressure is 1.9 bar on one side of the motor and 1.2 bar on the other). If I set an external torque it sees this as a torque driving the motor, so it acts as a pump. A negative torque is interpreted as the motor being driven in the opposite direction, and still pumps. If I use the resistance curve and set that to 40Nm things get better and I get some pressure, but the motor no longer spins (I'm trying to model a motor which will develop 560Nm of torque!).
      Where am I going wrong?
      Thanks
      Ben

Comment

Hello bentate99

Can you please attach the project, we can do a small analysis of your circuit and we can answer you shortly after that.
        Thank you.

Best Regards
        Forum Admin
        Best Regards,
        Forum Admin
        sigpic

Comment

Hello,
          currently, i want to prepare animation from Automation studio to present to our customer. Crude oil pump.jpg

i attched the simple hydraulic scheme. the working principle of that scheme :

at the beginning, hydraulic pump that coupled by E-motor (P1) give flow to the cylinder then cylinder retract. when cylinder piston reach magnetic sensor (HS1), P1 in standby mode, the single acting cylinder extend by gravity of external load then oil return from cylinder go out to hydraulic pump-motor that coupled by flywheel (P2) and hydraulic pump change to hydraulic motor then rotate the flywheel (energy recovery). When cylinder reach magnetic sensor (HS3), P1 active again to send oil flow to cylinder and P2 change to hydraulic pump and support P1 to retract the cylinder. that is the sequence of hydraulic scheme. could you please give me suggestion how to make animation with automation studio?

thank you

Comment

Hello,

From what I understood, here are a few tips that could help you in your project :

- to add a mass to the cylinder, you can simply add an "External Mass" in its properties and make sure that its inclination is -90 degrees.
            - concerning the magnetic sensors you can use the "magnetic sensors" (or "proximity sensors") from the general components library, Hydraulic -> Sensors -> Proximity Sensors. Then, you need to correctly place the sensor port on the correspond port of the cylinder. To do so, you can use the "Extension property of the cylinder". For example, if you need to place your magnetic sensor HS1 at 42% of the cylinder stroke, set the extension of the cylinder to 42%, place the sensor and then set the extension back to 0%.
            - to manage the connexion between the pumps and the E-motor or the flywheel and the hydraulic motor, you could use an "Electric Clutch" from the library Mechanical -> Transmission. This component can allow you to disconnect the E-Motor P1 from you pump if need be. To use it you will probably need to create a small electrical command circuit to disconnect the clutch when the cylinder reaches HS1 and to reconnect it when the cylinder reaches HS3.

If you need more details, could you please attach the image file you copied in your message, or even the project file if you have one, because the quality of the image has been degraded during the compression.

Best regards,
            Forum Admin

Comment

Helloo..

thank you for detail explanation. here i attach the file. hopefully you can explain furthermore or make simple simulation with AS

thank you
              Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

Please find enclosed a small simulation showing the idea of your project. I did not reproduce all your circuit, just the important parts for the energy recovery. Here are the things you will have to use to apply it to your project :

- As explained in my former message, you will need to place the magnetic sensors correctly
                - Add a load to the cylinder and set its inclination to -90?
                - Then you will need to create a small control circuit to manage the activation/deactivation of your valves. If you are not familiar with the control circuit, here is a small explanation of how the circuit I created works:
                The solenoids are made to send the value of their variable to another component while the contacts are made to take the value from another component to determine their state (open or close)

The contacts normally open HS1 and HS3 are directly linked to the magnetic sensors so that they close when the corresponding sensor is activated.
                When a sensor is reached, the contact closes, closing the loop of the electrical circuit and activating the solenoid at the end of the line.
                The solenoids are linked to the contacts HS1_Sol and HS3_Sol in order to maintain the loop closed when they magnetic sensor is deactivated.
                The normally close contacts are directly linked to the magnetic sensors so that they open the loop when the other sensor is reached.
                Finally, the solenoids are also linked to the directional valve to control the flow in the circuit.

To sum up, the sequence is :
                Sensor HS1 activates -> Contact HS1 closes -> Solenoid HS1_sol activates -> Directional valve shifts and contact HS1_sol activates -> Sensor HS1 deactivates -> Energy recovery -> Sensor HS3 activates -> Contact HS3 activates -> Solenoid HS3_sol activates -> Directional valve shifts, normally open contact HS3_sol closes and normally closed contact HS3 opens -> Cylinder retracts

I hope my explanation will help you in your project.

Best regards,
                Forum Admin
                Attached Files

Comment

Hello Sir,

thank you very much for explanation..

unfortunately, my AS is educational edition so can't open your file. could you please make it to video? at least i can see the simulation and try to create in my AS

Thank you very much
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

I have converted the file to an educationnal file. From what I see with your error messages, you should be able to open it now. If you still cannot open it, maybe you are using a version older than 6.4.0.20110 (last release of Automation Studio). If it is the case, please let me know what version you are using. You can find this information by clicking on the AS Logo at the top left on your screen, then "Support" -> "About".

Best regards,
                    Forum Admin
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hello Sir,

it is still can not be openned. this is my AS version

Thank you for your support
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

You were not able to open it because you are using the 6.3 version of Automation Studio while I sent you a project made with the latest version 6.4.

I converted the file to a 6.3 file, you should be able to open it now.

Best regards,
                        Forum Admin
                        Attached Files

Comment

it works Mr QuentinD.

thank you very much

Comment

Hello,

I tried to do this process to add external load, but without success. My version of Automation Studio is 5.6 Educational Edition.

Can I add external load in this version?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
                            X